Saturday 21 June 2014

Packed to the max

I LOVE my youngest son the musician. 
He’s very cool and bohemian and is more of a “hippy” than those born 30 years before him.
He has a certain style … let’s call it Bodi-chic.
We seem to have similar taste (!) and he’s even been known to raid my wardrobe and wear outfits I’d long forgotten – hoaded away from the Seventies and Eighties – on stage while performing.
But as a mother, I must give him some advice on how to pack for his next trip to Europe, because he has failed dismally in preparing for this one.

Dear Bodi,
Firstly, I know you prefer bare feet (you did grow up by the beach, after all), but please throw in your backpack some good, solid shoes. I’m not really fussed on what kind.
If you want to eat all that glorious regional food and savour wines that don't come out of a goon sack, a nice pair of shoes walking into a classy restaurant will ensure you aren't shoo-ed out by a maitre d' before you sit down.
Secondly, good walking shoes also are essential (with socks to limit the smell after a long day hiking or treading kilometres of cobblestones).  Thongs that are two sizes too small with a heel overhang just don't do the job and neither do sharp-looking suede op shop shoes that give you blisters.
Thirdly, please leave at home any jeans that have been cut off above the knee and now boast holes in places the sun should not shine. Ditto ones that fall down your backside and reveal parts of the anatomy I last saw when you were in nappies.
Non-iron, easy-to-wash, drip-dry clothes are preferable. But non-iron does not mean your shirt should look like a crinkle-cut chip once on your back.
Finally, don't overpack. Climbing up stone steps in the Cinque Terre already should have reinforced that piece of advice.
Your backpack is like a snail's shell and should feel comfortable as you move your portable "home" around Europe.
By leaving plenty of room and limiting the weight, you will always have more space to bring back  roman sandals, flamenco dresses, leather handbags and venetian glass baubles for me.
Love you, Mum xx

And after reading this, I'm sure he'll send me packing, too ...





No comments:

Post a Comment